Friday, September 09, 2005

Mensa Schmensa

Every so often the Happy Catholic posts a Mensa test on her blog. Since I believe I'm smarter than empirical evidence would suggest, I find these little puzzles a lot of fun, especially when I don't have to cheat to get the answer.

The latest puzzle is a math puzzle which is not my favorite but I think I came up with the right answer within the allotted time limit. The puzzle previous to that I found quite enjoyable because it had to do with words. In fact it was reminiscent of a type of visual poetry (if it wasn't in fact visual poetry). And since I haven't put up a profile yet it would probably help you to know I have a passing fascination with visual poetry and other visual/verbal art forms. I'm sure I'll blog more about that later.

Anyway, I liked the word square puzzle so much I made up my own. It actually didn't take too long. I did it in about three tries so either I'm really, really smart, or it's not as hard as you would think. So, here it is:

If you stack the words that match these definitions, you will have a word square that reads the same across and down.

1. To brood or sulk.
2. Alone in kind. Sole.
3. A ballet movement.
4. Organs of vision.

Since I'm sure I don't have as many readers as the Happy Catholic you can send me your answer via my email address (timATgigocorp.com - replace the AT with the @ sign) and I'll tell you if it's right or not. And just to make it interesting, anyone who sends me the correct answer by the end of the month will be entered into a drawing for a single song mini-CD from the Archdiocesan Boy Choir of Philadelphia. My son was in the choir for the last four years and we have a few of their single song Christmas Card CDs left over that need new homes. I suppose I'll have to come up with more contests too so I can spread the ABC love around. Don't forget to tell your friends to try their luck!

By the way, I've turned off commenting on this one so no one inadvertently gives away the answer.

0 Comments:

<< Home