Monday, September 26, 2005

Mind Field Wanderings

Driving into work this morning my mind wandered to the chief weapons of the Spanish Inquisition. (Those wishing to understand how I got to this node in my stream of thought can email me for a complete listing of my thought process.) Anyway, so one of the chief weapons of the Spanish Inquisition is ruthless efficiency. And while contemplating this fact I wondered, for the first time in my life, if the definition of ruthless was actually without ruth and if so, what the heck did ruth mean, because I've never heard ruth used as anything but a name. So, as soon as I arrived at work I quickly consulted Dictionary.com and found that yes indeed, ruthless is basically the opposite of ruthful with both words being based on ruth which means a feeling of sympathy and sorrow for the misfortunes of others. So don't let anyone tell you that Monty Python isn't educational.

I might turn this into a regular feature as I seem to have these strange thoughts quite often when driving the high schooler to school and then heading to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home