Friday, November 18, 2005

Unfinished Christian

I suppose as a Lapped Catholic trying to catch up on what I've missed I should get this book that is reviewed at the Catholic Ragemonkey website.

I'll have to add it to my list of reading tasks which include reading the Bible cover to cover as well as finishing the last five Narnia books. Not that that last task is too difficult. I can't believe that I avoided those books because I thought, for some unknown reason, that they were written on the level of LotR and just didn't feel like wading through that much fantasy fiction. Well, you live and learn.

Speaking of the Bible, can anyone suggest an acceptable version that isn't the NAS? Preferably a study version. The one I have is okay but I find the translation to be somewhat flat. It doesn't seem to be what gets used during Mass. Anyone know what version is used in the Liturgy of the Word?

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/29/2005 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

As far as I know, the New American Bible is the one used in the United States for the Lectionary.
Two Bibles that we use for study are the Navarre Bible: New Testament and the Ignatius Bible (Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition.) I also like referring to the Jerusalem Bible.........The Scott Hahn book you referred to I have not read but another Scott Hahn's book "The Lamb's Supper" I have read and found that it enhanced my appreciation of the Mass.

11/29/2005 07:57:00 PM  
Blogger Darwin said...

Bibles, bibles everywhere...

The New American is certain the standard. RSV/Ignatius is also decent (to be honest, I find it pretty similar to the NA). I personally like the Jerusalem Bible quite a bit. (I believe Tolkien translated Tobit for that one...)

If you like high flown language KJV style, there is of course the Douay Rhemes version -- a Catholic translation into English which mostly pre-dates the KJV. (And you'll note that the KJV translators lifted a few parts from us...)

11/30/2005 02:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Bishop bernard jordan said...

Great info....thanks

Internet churches

10/28/2011 09:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home