Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Traditions of the Assumption of the BVM

Here's a question for the Catholic Blogosphere:

My wife and I were talking about the upcoming Feast of the Assumption on August 15th and she mentioned that when her family spent their summers "down the shore" that on the Feast of the Assumption everyone made sure that they went into the water. She said they had to carry her Grandmother down to the beach so she could be carried into the ocean. Some even drove down from Philly just to walk into the water on that day. Does anyone know where this tradition comes from? Is it just a Jersey Shore thing, an Irish thing (my wife's family is Irish) or what? I thought it might have some thing to do with Stella Maris but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have local or family traditions that they participate in on the Feast of the Assumption? I'm interested to find out more about this.

Now I'll have to email a few choice Catholic blogs and bleg for them to mention this post so I can get an answer. So thanks in advance to The Happy Catholic, Amy Welborn, and The Donegal Express.

UPDATE: There a number of great comments at Open Book after Amy Welborn so graciously posted my bleg.

4 Comments:

Blogger Der Tommissar said...

I'm from the Irish part of Philly, but I never heard of it.

I'll ask around though.

8/09/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Julie D. said...

You have scooped me ... this is part of a post I have ready for Assumption Day.

From The Catholic Home, "Express your constitutional right to religious freedom by skipping work to hit the beach after mass on August 15. If anyone asks, explain that you're simply observing "Our Lady's Health Bathing," a venerable custom among Catholics in Ireland, England, and parts of Europe. on this feast day, Mary's blessing extends to natural bodies of water, so taking a dunk in the ocean or a lake, stream, or river is also believed to have salutary benefits."

8/09/2006 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

More like dumb luck Julie. I barely make the time to post once or twice a month and here you've got posts just sitting in the pipeline weeks in advance. That's what I call serious blogging!

8/09/2006 07:05:00 PM  
Blogger Fr. Herb said...

I remember that my mother packed us a picnic lunch and we all piled into a buss to spend the day at Salisbury Beach, MA so that we could bathe in the ocean on this Feast of the Assumption (We are Irish/English, but I remember seeing some Italian women throwing flowers into the ocean on that day.)

8/15/2009 12:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home