Monday, October 23, 2006

5 Little-Known Things

I've been tagged! Woohoo! Journey Woman has tagged me with the 5 Little-Known Things About Me meme.

As I was trying to think of 5 Little-Known Things I only seemed to be able to come up with things related to the arts which I thought might skew how people thought of me so I came up with a couple military items to keep things balanced. It's possible some of these could have been part of my list of 5 Silly Things About Me that I was tagged with a while back but I'll let you decide for yourself.

1) I was the only male member of two school dance troops in my elementary school days. I think I started dancing because one of my sisters did. The only thing I remember about the one dance troop is that we did a rendition of the Chimney Sweep song from Mary Poppins and I had a crush on a really cute red head who was in the troop with me and who I actually met years later in high school. The other troop was an after school group that did basic folk and party type dances like the Hava Nagila and The Alley Cat. After four years of dancing with that troop I was awarded a baseball bat and ball which even at the time I thought was kind of goofy. I would have preferred a book.

2) I played the cello for a short period of time during elementary school. It was more like I pretended to play the cello. From what I remember of it I don't think I really knew what I was doing. Every once in a while I think it might be fun to try taking it up again. Maybe in my twilight years.

3) I graduated from the Air Assualt School at Fort Campbell, Kentucky when I was a reporter for the base newspaper. All I can say is that waking up early to go on forced marches and perform physical training with telephone poles while getting yelled at by guys who could kill you three times before you hit the ground was a small price to pay for being able to jump out of helicopters.

4) While a reporter for the 8th Infantry Division newspaper in Germany I was able to qualify for the German marksmanship badge the Schutzenschnur or Shooting Cord. I got to fire a number of German Army weapons including the Luger pistol. I think I only got the bronze version but I was allowed to wear it with my dress uniform, which was always rather impressive.

5) I was the lead singer for a punk rock band out of Cincinnati, Ohio in the mid-80's. We were only together for about a year and a half but we put out an album and got a glowing review from Maximum Rock n' Roll magazine, the punk periodical of choice. We opened for some nationally and internationally known groups including Black Flag and G.B.H. Locally we played in Newport and Lexington, KY; Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus, OH; West Lafayette and Bloomington, IN. We also went on an underground tour across the United States where we played in Portland, ME; Syracuse, NY; Lansing and Flint, MI; Lincoln, NE; Denver, CO; Las Vegas, NV; and Burbank and Los Angeles, CA. We only got kicked out of one bar and were refused entrance to Canada where we were supposed to play two gigs. Otherwise it was a blast, as long as you don't count the malnutrition and the nervous breakdown it induced.

Okay, I have to tag some people now. How about some of the winners from the poster contest! The Roman Sacristan, Another Catholic Mom, Upper Canada Catholic, and Veritatis Splendor.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Cool.

I pretended to play the violin as a child. Only my mom knew that I was holding the bow about an inch away from the strings during our Christmas concert. She knew because she'd see how little practicing I did at home, and just how bad I was when I did practice.

I really want to learn to play the piano. But given my history, I'm now setting my sights on a player piano.

10/23/2006 02:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I have responded. Might not be as interesting as yours, but oh well:

http://romansacristan.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-first-internet-meme-tag.html

10/23/2006 03:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home